Item Number: 36666, 36663, 18262
The aim is to alter the neuro-transmission from the Spinal Centre to the Bladder
Why is it done?
- Incomplete Bladder emptying, large post-void residual urine volumes
- Under Active Bladders
- Chronic Pelvic Pain
- Causative factors:
– Neurogenic causes such as Multiple Sclerosis,
How is it done?
- Sedation is administered with a local anaesthetic
- You will be placed prone (on your stomach) with lower back and buttocks exposed
- The tined lead will be placed in the S3 foramina of the sacrum under imaging
- The lead will be tunnelled under the skin and connected to an Internal Battery
- A pocket will be made for the permanent subcutaneous battery and connection
- Subcutaneous sutures will be placed, which will dissolve.
- Some local discomfort may be experienced.
- A nerve stimulator may provide abnormal sensations, which your body adjusts to.
- A Representative from Medtronic will be in contact with you to check on your settings and responses.
- A review at SAWMH with Medtronics will be scheduled at 3 months, to confirm that the device is functioning optimally
- Further review appointments will be scheduled as required
- The battery should last between 7-10 years
- NB! Each person is unique and for this reason, symptoms may vary!
Copyright 2019 Dr Jo Schoeman