Product Summary: AMA rates.
Endoscopic opening of pelvi-ureteric junction stricture.
Item number: 36825, 105
Endoscopic technique of incising a short stricture with a laser. A stent remains 6 weeks post operatively
Why is it done?
- Stricturing or narrowing of the ureter causing significant hydronephrosis.
- Leading to chronic infection.
- End-result is loss of renal function.
- An end to end anastomosis can be considered in the mid ureter.
- A Reimplantaion into the bladder with lower ureteric strictures.
- A pelvi-ureteric junction repair in higher ureteric strictures.
- A trans uretero-ureteric anastomosis joining one ureter to the other where long defects are present.
- Renal Auto Transplantation where ureter is completely damaged or.
- An ileal ureteric substitution where to whole ureter is damaged.
How is it done?
- Endoscopic technique.
- Patients will receive a general anaesthesia.
- Prophylactic antibiotics is given.
- The correct ureteric system is identified and marked while you are awake.
- This will be mostly a endoscopic procedure.
- A Cystoscopy will be done with placement of ureteric guidewires./li>
- The affected ureter is entered with ureteroscopy. Laser is used to cut through the short stricture until peri-ureteric fat is observed.
- This is not an advisable procedure where the stricture overlies vascular structures.
- A ureteric stent is placed.
- An indwelling catheter is placed.
- You may be in hospital for 3 days.
- Your drain will be removed when there is no urine draining.
- Your catheter will be removed the following day.
- As soon as you are comfortable with no signs of pain and emptying your bladder sufficiently, you will be discharged.
- A ward prescription may be issued on your discharge, for your own collection at any pharmacy.
- A follow-up appointment will be scheduled for 6 weeks to remove your ureteric stent under local anaesthesia with a Flexible Cystoscope.
- A review with a CT IVP will be scheduled 6 weeks after this to check on the end result of the ureter.
- Any pain or signs of fever require an urgent review.
- Don’t hesitate to ask Jo if you have any queries.
- DON’T SUFFER IN SILENCE, OR YOU WILL SUFFER ALONE!
Download Information Sheet