Product Summary: AMA rates
Item Number: 35546, 105
Non-invasive technique of shattering renal or ureteric calculi using sound waves. This service is only provided at Brisbane Private Hospital.
Why is it done?
- Renal stones of any size, usually larger than 1cm obstructing/ non-obstructing the renal pelvis or ureter.
- Conservative form of treatment with external treatment administered through the skin with electromagnetic/ pyzo-electric shock waves.
- Shock waves compress and distract the stone and the stone crystal fragments at its weakest links.
- 70% of patients are stone free after this procedure, depending on the size of the stone and consistency of the stone.
- You may present with colicky pain on the affected side when stone fragments make their way down the ureter.
What to be aware of:
- Colicky pain that persists.
- Infection and fever.
Contact the rooms or your nearest Emergency Department ASAP
How is it done?
- Patients will receive a general anaesthesia.
- Prophylactic antibiotics is given.
- The correct kidney is identified and marked while you are awake.
- You are placed on a specifically designed table where a compartment in the bed underlying the affected kidney is removed to enable a large fluid containing probe to press up against your back.
- With radiological imaging the shock waves are aimed onto the stone in 2 90 degree angles.
- The stone is then bombarded with the shock waves. A total of approx. 4000 shots are administered until the stone fragments and disappears.
- As soon as you are awake and have kept some food down and emptied your bladder, you may leave for home.
- You may experience bllod in your urine.
- You may experience colicky/crampy pains as you pass the fragments.
- Allow for a few days for stabilization of symptoms.
- A ward prescription may be issued on your discharge, for your own collection at any pharmacy.
- A follow-up appointment will be scheduled for 3 months. If any stones are caught and sent for evaluation, stone analysis results will be discussed at this consultation in order to formulate a plan to prevent recurrences.
- Don’t hesitate to ask Jo if you have any queries.
- DON’T SUFFER IN SILENCE, OR YOU WILL SUFFER ALONE!
Download Information Sheet